Monday, August 5, 2019

Light From Distant Stars by Shawn Smucker

Light From Distant Stars is a book I plan on reading multiple time's, I love those books that seem to be written just for you. The cover is beautiful, matching the title in artwork.

Addictive, spiritual, heart-wrenching, memorable.

The words are lyrical, poetically descriptive, perfectly placed at the right moments. The story focuses from a single point of view of Cohen in relation to his family, community, and childhood friendships. The relationships deal with struggles from dark emotional traumas between childhood and adult. 
Cohen struggles with pain, finding forgiveness from God this helps him cope with the many challenges he faces. The strongest and most compelling aspect of the story relates to the complexities of relationships. 

I was drawn to each character's personality even the children, and couldn't put the book down. The story discreetly divulges key aspects in each chapter, gently enticing the reader to keep going. There's so much of this story I could relate to since my father passed away a few years back. I found myself facing things Cohen did, questioning and remembering my childhood experiences with my father. Death makes you reevaluate every part of your life and this story helps with understanding that, it's a story for everyone going through a difficult time in life. Here's a quote that speaks to my heart from the book.

"And when he says her name he speaks a million things into existence: memories and emotions and regrets. It's all there around his head, a cloud, a nebula."

Thank you Netgalley and Revell publisher for a chance to read and review this amazingly touching unforgettable book.

No comments:

Post a Comment